Pacifica High School Students Meet State Legislators

Three Pacifica High School students took a trip up to our state’s capital to attend California PAL’s Sacramento Experience.

On March 6th, three Pacifica High School students took a trip up to our state’s capital to attend California PAL’s Sacramento Experience. For the first time in years, CALPAL decided to host this conference, Oxnard PAL being one of the lucky few to be selected. The premise of this trip was for students to meet with the assembly members from their respective districts and persuade them to vote on change in the community. In addition, the conference was also a leadership seminar that prepared the students for their meeting at the Capitol and supplied them with skills they could take home to their communities. 

After arriving at the hotel, and a quick lunch break, the students were introduced to the keynote speakers, Ms. Sylvia Garner and Mr. A’ric Jackson. They were amazing and powerful speakers who told their stories and began leading a group activity. Each PAL charter was tasked to create a flag that represented their group and city. This activity was especially eye-opening because of the number of charters there. Our students took this as a reminder of the vastness of California, meeting other teens from cities they’d never even heard of. After their sessions with the other charters, our students would spend a lot of time preparing for their meeting. When the day came along for the students to head up to the assembly member’s office, they were ready. The students had a very productive meeting with their assembly person and met a few other legislators at the capitol. They were able to meet Stephanie Nguyen, the Assistant Speaker Pro Temp, and Steve Bennett (District 38 – Ventura). Thanks to California PAL the students left their conference more informed about their state government, and most importantly, as more confident speakers.