Currents

Ted Bundy Tapes Start Controversy

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ted Bundy Tapes Start Controversy

Many of us know Ted Bundy as one of the most infamous serial killers and rapists of the 1970s. Between the dates of 1974 and 1978, many girls went missing and were found dead at the hands of Bundy. He is well-known for his charm and arrogance, which helped him go free for many years before getting caught.

After being convicted of three murders on two trials, he confessed to 30 homicides within seven states; though, the number is speculated to be higher. Ted Bundy’s trial received wide media coverage as his personality grew popular across America. Once convicted in 1979, he was sentenced to the death penalty at Florida State Prison. Ted Bundy reached an end to his terror on Jan. 24, 1989 when he was executed on the electric chair.

These horrendous events recently picked back up in popularity as a documentary series was released on the anniversary of Bundy’s death. “Conversations With a Killer: Ted Bundy Tapes”, a Netflix exclusive, describes every detail about Ted Bundy and his murders. This four part series features hour long episodes and audio from 100 hours of tape from Bundy as well as key people from his life and case trials as it digs into the mind of the killer and his thoughts through his trials and life in prison.

Two days after the release of the Netflix docuseries came the initial release and announcement of “Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil, and Vile” at the annual Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah. This film stars actor Zac Efron as Ted Bundy. It is not yet available to the mass public, but is said to be coming to Netflix in the fall.

Some are on the debate of whether both the docuseries and Efron’s film are glorifying and romanticizing Ted Bundy. Others think that it does a good job at showing the killer for who he truly was. The two programs seem to portray him as a man of incredible charm, confidence, and good looks. Though it may be seen as glorification to certain people, both Netflix and Efron made separate statements clarifying that it is not anyone’s intention to depict that in either the series or film.

In the end, whether you like the docuseries and film or not, it is safe to say that Ted Bundy will remain one of the most notorious serial killer rapists of all time.

About the Writer
Christine Perez, Opinion Editor

I am Christine Perez and I am a senior this year. Aside from journalism, my interests include art, music, and biological sciences.