Currents

Keep Up with Track and Field

Back to Article
Back to Article

Keep Up with Track and Field

The Track and Field season began with the first Pacifica Invitational on February 16th. The meet was attended by fourteen schools and separated into two levels with freshmen, sophomore grade levels and junior, senior grade levels. Pacifica placed seventh in the underclassman division, while the upperclassman division claimed the second position among all the schools. The team was anxious about the first meet, but once it got started the athletes did their best!

The Track and Field team had their second meet, the Don Green Invitational, at Moorpark High School. The distance runners competed on Friday March 1st while the sprinters, hurdlers, jumpers, and throwers competed during the rain on Saturday. Many athletes had a great time at the Invitational competing and then meeting athletes from different schools and refueling with food afterwards. The team came back on the bus chanting their Pacifica pride and eager to rest for another upcoming meet in five days at Buena High school.

This year, the coaching staff has expanded to include an additional two sprinter coaches and another throwing coach. Head coach Tomek notes, “We are excited for another season of track and field and the opportunity to compete in a new and improved Pacific View League. We are returning a handful of school record holders as well as some very talented underclassmen.” The coaching staff looks forward to seeing these student-athletes grow throughout the course of the season. With the addition of Ventura High School and San Buenaventura High School introduced to our league alongside the removal of Hueneme High School, our Pacific View League now contains six schools.

On March 7th, Pacifica participated in its first dual meet with Ventura and Buena, hosted by Buena. The team was a little nervous before the meet since it was their first dual meet against both Ventura and Buena. Nevertheless, the athletes managed to put their nervousness aside and gave all the strength and speed they had. There were many individual personal records broken, as well as athletes who stepped up and competed in events they had never done before in order to score as many points possible. However, the coaches and athletes know there is still of lot of work to do for improvement. We wish the Track and Field team good luck as they continue to compete in the 2019 season in hopes of qualifying for CIF.

About the Writer
Joanna Dam, Photography Editor

Hi, I’m Joanna Dam; I’m a senior and the photography editor. I participate in three varsity sports and play the flute in symphonic band.