Currents

Come Play with Unified Club

Pacifica has a wide variety of great clubs on campus; one of which is the Unified Club. Through Unified Club, students who from both General and special education programs are able to show off their skills on the court as they play basketball.

According to Special Olympics Minnesota, “a Unified Club is an exciting program which combines students with and without intellectual disabilities to develop meaningful relationships, help spread acceptance and ensure everyone feels included and welcome in their school.”  

Participating high schools in Ventura County include teams out of Westlake, Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park, Camarillo, Rio Mesa, Simi Valley, Royal, Buena, Oxnard, Pacifica and Fillmore high schools. At Pacifica, there are about 40 kids participating in the Unified club.

While one major purpose of the Unified Club is to help ensure acceptance of all students, regardless of intellectual or physical ability, the club also helps develop friendships, raise awareness, and build leaders. Pacifica’s Unified Club has had a meaningful impact at the school. Recently, the Unified Club has sponsored adaptive basketball games and the End the R Word Assembly.

On March sixth, Unified Club and TECA teamed up to host this nation wide event during fourth period. At the assembly, students and staff were reminded of the impact of words; specifically, using the word “retarded” can have a negative emotional impact on persons with intellectual impairment, as well as on family and friends. Students and staff of Pacifica were encouraged to sign a poster in pledge of using more respectful words.

Following the assembly, the Unified Club broke into teams and entertained us all as they had fun playing basketball. The games were competitive and fun, but most importantly, a joint effort of students of all abilities.

Anyone who is interested in building friendships and being in a wholesome environment is greatly encouraged to participate in Unified Club.

About the Writer
Ashlynn Stupar, Features Editor

I am Ashlynn Stupar, and I am a senior this year. Aside from journalism, my hobbies include photography and gymnastics.