Currents

Local Elections Create Conversation

Fall 2018 has recently begun, and everyone is enthusiastic for the things that come along with it: football games, sweater weather, Halloween and Thanksgiving, and most importantly: pumpkin spice lattes. But that’s not all that this season is bringing to us. Come early November, every adult in the country is set to vote for their local elections.

However, not many people realize the importance of voting for their local candidates.

Local elections occur in everyone’s hometown, county, and state, and every vote cast influences who comes into office and what changes are directly placed into their government system. Voting certain people and certain measures can directly influence the quality of education, prices in housing and residency, depth of medical qualities, and even amount of jobs that could be placed into the city, county, or state.

With fewer than 40 days remaining until the election, many state measures are looking to be placed on the ballot, waiting to be positioned into our communities, of which include simple and complex ideas. For example, Proposition 10 seeks to regulate rent control on residential property, which could potentially impact net reduction in state or even local revenue of over millions of dollars annually. Other propositions, such as Props 2 and 3 are attempting the usage of bonds to fund important causes, such as housing assistance to the mentally ill that are homeless, as well as funding to help conserve water and wildlife.

City measures are included as well on the ballot, and many are expected to be in place for Oxnard. Most meaures consist of Seabridge at Mandalay Bay, focusing on the taxes of businesses and employers for the likely increase in revenue in the near future.

For the city of Oxnard, many candidates are in the running for the spots of mayor, and the four council chairs. Council Chairmen will be chosen and placed within their rightful district, based on location within the city.

For the first time in the city’s history, a total of 17 people are waiting on the people’s votes. On November 6, a total three candidates will be running for mayor: Tim Flynn, Aaron Starr, and Mario Quintana. In District 1, Bert Perello, Ambrosio Casanova Jr., Kenneth Oplinger and Kari Cryder will be in the running for council chairman; District 2 will select between Carmen Rodriguez, Tai Hartley and Lance Ralston; District 5 will choose of Elizabeth White, Larry Stein and Gabriela Basua; and District 6 will select between Luis Garcia-Moreira, Francine Castanon, Carolina Gallardo-Magana and Vianey Lopez.

Having a say in all of this matters, as it truly impacts the way we live our lives. Many young adults fail to realize this as everyone assumes all that matters are federal say. No other government has a more direct say into our lifestyle than local, and our chance to speak up and demand for change is often wasted with every passing election, as many aren’t using their vote.

If interested in making a statement, registration to vote is possible on both paper and the internet. See a social science teacher to pre-register at sixteen and seventeen, or register to vote at eighteen. Fill out the form, of which include your name, address, age, and state ID / driver’s license or social security number. There is no waiting period to register or pre-register, as long as it is done so 15 days prior to the elections.

Remember: a single vote and say does matter, and will make a visible difference within our daily lives.