Currents

UCLA Band Day: Fun in the Heat!

Pacifica High School attends the annual UCLA Band Day this past October 6. UCLA Band Day takes place every year hosted in the famous Pasadena Rose Bowl. This particular day is more than just a football game as many high school marching bands and color guard are invited to participate in the halftime performance along with the spectacular UCLA marching band and guard. High school bands arrive early at the Rose Bowl grounds and head to a 2 hour mass practice with the Solid Gold Sound led by Gordon Henderson.  

During this practice all bands practice the main half time pieces together until we are satisfied with our sound and unity. After the mass rehearsal bands then break up into their own instrumental sections and group together to go over the music together.  

For the duration of this event the weather in Pasadena for that weekend was in the high 80s to low 90s for the day. Students and band members must power through the heat with hydration and determination. Participants are encouraged to bring sunscreen and hats in an attempt to outsmart the heat. Though, many dangers of prolonged exposure to sunlight and heat remain, there is a cool down bus located on sight of the practice grounds for anyone who is affected by the heat as well as multiple water breaks. 

Nonetheless, they all make sure to have an overall good time at the Rose Bowl. After the practice our band students get a snack break at the nearby park. They are free to roam around and occasionally buy ice cream from a  local ice cream man if one is there. Other high school bands also share the break location with PHS and proves for a good time communicating and making new friends in band.  

(Unfinished, event has yet to take place)