The student-run news site of Pacifica High School

Currents

Culinary Arts Academy

The Culinary Arts Academy is an academy where you learn how to cook and you learn about the history of food. The Culinary Academy started recruiting for the year of 2017-2018 about a month ago. The applications were already due but the academy is still accepting late applications.

Some things you should expect when joining this academy are that you will also have 7 classes a day instead of the normal 6. The 7th period will be 0 period so instead of starting school at 8:11 a.m. you will start school at 7:09 a.m. You will also spend 4 out of the 7 classes with your academy classmates. When joining this academy your teachers will have a high expectation of you, they will know your grades of all your classes, and they will know what classes you miss or are late too.

Some benefits when joining the Culinary Arts Academy are that you will go on field-trips with your academy class and you will have hands on experience. When cooking, you will feel like you are in a restaurant. Another benefit when joining the academy is that you will be able to eat whatever it is that you create.

This academy is unique because in this academy you can eat what you create. Unlike other academies where you most likely can’t eat whatever you make. This academy is a lot more hands on than the other academies.

In this academy they are looking for people who can work in any environment. They are also looking for people who are able to work with different types of people with different types of personalities. This academy is looking for people who are hard working, open minded, and patient.

Some of the field trips you will go on are to the Ronald Reagan Library, Holocaust Museum, Griffith Park, and Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific. You will also go to Universal city, L.A. Times, L.A. Farmers Market, and The Cheesecake Factory.

Besides cooking you will learn the history of food and restaurants in your social science classes. You will be creating a restaurant during your senior year as well. You will have 0, 1st, 3rd, and 4th period with the academy. So 2nd, 5th, and 6th will be open to whatever other class you want to take.

When you join this academy you will be given internships at restaurants during your senior year. These internships can lead to employment by the place you intern for. You will learn skills to help you out in a real world environment.

For more information, visit the Pacifica Culinary Website.