The student-run news site of Pacifica High School

Currents

Women’s March

Tairy Padilla, Social Media Editor

Approximately 2.6 million people attended the Women’s March on January 21, 2017 in protest of Donald Trump’s inauguration. Over 670 marches took place all around the United States of America and many other countries such as Britain, Germany, India, Spain, Ireland, Australia and Sweden, just to name 8 out of 32 participating countries.

This march brought a diverse group of people out. Introverts, extroverts, Latinos, Hispanics, Asians, African Americans, etc., with men, women, teenagers and children of all ages came out to support the cause. Little girls held up signs they made about being tough and equal to boys. Feminists and activists united closer than ever, holding up signs that said, “Human Rights Are Women’s Rights” and even “Respect Our Existence or Expect Our Resistance” along with Rosie the Riveter posters.

Men supported their wives, sisters, mothers, cousins, grandmothers, aunts, nieces and daughters. Teenagers and younger boys also held up posters in support of their mother’s, grandmothers and older or younger sisters. One little boy in particular held up a “Gay power, black power, women power, all power to the people!” (RomyWasHere on Instagram) poster. The children were the most talked about at these marches because most of their posters were their own opinions on what was going on.

Overall, the outcome opened many people’s eyes and motivated others to take a stand as well. Do not underestimate women of any color, not only will they fire back but many other feminists and activists of both genders.