The student-run news site of Pacifica High School

Currents

Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher’s Death

On Tuesday December 27, 2016, the Star Wars star Carrie Fisher passed away at sixty years old. She suffered from a heart attack while she was on a plane from London to LAX that Friday before. Carrie was then rushed to the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center where she passed away four days later on Tuesday, after being in intensive care. The exact cause for the heart attack has not been confirmed but many have thought it to be related to her history with substance abuse due to her bipolar disorder, which she was always open about. She became an outspoken advocate for Mental Health Awareness.  

A day after Carrie Fisher’s death, her mother Debbie Reynolds also passed away. The Singin’ in the Rain and Halloweentown star, passed away on December 28 at the age of 84. Reynolds reportedly died from intracerebral hemorrhage, which is also known as a stroke. A blood vessel had ruptured and caused bleeding in her brain, which then lead to the stroke. Reynolds was taken in an ambulance from her son Todd Fisher’s house where he had called 911. Debbie Reynolds had passed away shortly after arriving at the hospital a day after her daughter’s death. Both Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds were honored with a tribute segment at this years 74th annual Golden Globes Awards.